Home
Alleged Fraud: Ex- Humanitarian Minister Receiving Treatment In Egypt, Lawyer Tells Court

Alleged Fraud: Ex- Humanitarian Minister Receiving Treatment In Egypt, Lawyer Tells Court

Sadiya Umar-Farouq

The Federal Capital Territory High Court sitting in Apo, Abuja, on Monday sustained the arrest warrant earlier issued against former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Umar Farouq, over alleged fraud involving $1.3m and N746.7m.

Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie held that the bench warrant issued against the former minister on April 16, 2026, would remain in force.

Farouq is being prosecuted alongside Bashir Nura Alkali and Sani Nafiu Mohammed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on charges bordering on alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of office, and diversion of public funds.

At the resumed proceedings, counsel for the EFCC, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), informed the court that the matter was slated for arraignment, but noted that the first defendant, Farouq, was absent without explanation.

Jacobs said, “My lord, we were here on April 16, 2026, when your lordship granted us a bench warrant to arrest the first defendant. It was because of that the second defendant immediately approached the commission and surrendered himself in obedience to your lordship’s order.”

He urged the court to vacate the warrant against the second defendant while sustaining the order against the former minister.

The prosecutor further recalled that Farouq’s counsel, Oladipo Okpesheyi (SAN), had earlier pleaded with the court to grant him one month to produce his client.

According to Jacobs, despite the court’s reluctance to grant a lengthy adjournment under the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, the judge accommodated the defence’s plea.

“My expectation this morning will be for my colleague to say that the client he promised to produce is in court today, but alas, he did not do so,” Jacobs said.

He added, “I will urge your lordship to ensure that the undertaking is enforced by counsel to produce his client instead of asking the court to discharge the order. My lordship should not listen to them until the undertaking is enforced.”

When asked by the court to explain Farouq’s absence, Okpesheyi told the judge that the former minister was currently in Egypt receiving medical treatment.

“My lord, she is in Egypt. I learnt that her doctor said she is not medically fit to appear today,” he said.

“There is a medical report I received on my phone last night that she is in the hospital on the doctor’s advice in Egypt. She will need about two months to recover before she can come. We will be humbly asking for an adjournment.”

Justice Onwuegbuzie, however, frowned on what he described as repeated attempts to frustrate and delay the trial.

“At the last adjournment, M.S. Ibrahim promised the court to produce the first defendant. It will be impossible to grant another adjournment.

“I will not tolerate unnecessary adjournment in my court. I will give you a short adjournment, and you will go and bring her, even if she is in a wheelchair. And if she is not here, the court will do what it needs to do,” the judge said.

The judge subsequently ruled that the arrest warrant against Farouq remained active and adjourned the matter till June 8, 2026, for arraignment.

The PUNCH reports that the EFCC, in the past week, declared the former minister wanted for alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of office, and diversion of public funds.

In the notice signed by its Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale, the anti-graft agency with knowledge of the ex-minister’s whereabouts is to contact the commission.

The EFCC directed anyone with useful information to contact its offices in Ibadan, Uyo, Sokoto, Maiduguri, Benin, Makurdi, Kaduna, Ilorin, Enugu, Kano, Lagos, Gombe, Port Harcourt, or Abuja, or call 08093322644, or email info@efcc.gov.ng, or contact the nearest police station.

Nathaniel Shaibu
Nathaniel Shaibu is a correspondent at The PUNCH with three years of professional journalism experience. He covers the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), civil society, religion, and the Ministries of Women Affairs and Youth Development. In addition to his primary beats, Nathaniel also reports on politics, metro, security, and judicial matters, bringing clarity and balance to a wide range of public-interest stories. His work reflects hands-on newsroom experience, strong beat knowledge, and a commitment to accurate, responsible journalism.

Kindly share this story:

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: theeditor@punchng.com

UPDATED NEWS: Nigerians can now invest ₦2.5million on premium domains and profit about ₦17-₦25Million. All earnings paid in US Dollars. Rather than Wonder, Click here to find out how it works (Be sure to ask for evidence of clients that have benefitted from this).

Stay informed and ahead of the curve! Follow The Punch Newspaper on WhatsApp for real-time updates, breaking news, and exclusive content. Don’t miss a headline – join now!

Join The Punch Newspapers Channel
Army General killed in Abuja, wife abducted
Spin it, Win it! Extra ₦500,000 is Given When You Join
MSport Betting
|
Sponsored
Popular TV host, estranged wife spill dirty extra-marital secrets
Frank Edoho and his estranged wife, Sandra Onyenucheya, trade accusations of infidelity, abuse, and neglect amid their messy marriage fallout.
Punch Newspapers
Tinubu’s outburst insulting, unbecoming of APC leader –Adamu
The leadership of the All Progressives Congress has thrown its weight behind the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), following the scathing remarks of a presidential aspirant and the National Leader of the party, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.
Punch Newspapers
#ResumeOrResign: Thugs attack Charly Boy in Abuja Market
Punch Newspapers
ColdBet – Welcome Bonus Wheel
CB
|
Sponsored
US sanctions eight Nigerians over links to Boko Haram, cybercrime
Punch Newspapers
Policeman said his colleague should’ve ‘finished’ me and taken my body to morgue with others –Gunshot victim
Punch Newspapers
24-year-old Nigerian jailed for life in UK
A 24-year-old Nigerian national, Chukwuemeka Ahanonu, was jailed for life in the UK for the random murder of a woman after a drug-fueled car crash.
Punch Newspapers
MOST POPULAR
Troops arrest Boko Haram drone supplier
Punch Newspapers
Horror: Man kills wife in front of children, commits suicide
Police investigate an Ogun murder-suicide where a man fatally stabbed his wife in front of their children before taking his own life.
Punch Newspapers
UK-based Nigerian jailed 17 years for raping 19-year-old
A UK-based Nigerian, Gift Oladele, has been sentenced to 17 years in prison for raping and sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman in Wrexham.
Punch Newspapers
₦500,000 is Given When You Join MSport Today.
Receive Your Cash Back Only Within 2 Mins Only In MSport.
MSport Betting
|
Sponsored
Stay in the know—fast. Get instant alerts, breaking headlines, and exclusive stories with the Punch News App. Download now and never miss a beat.

Get the Punch News App
Top News
Seyi Makinde
Oyo abduction: Outrage spreads after teacher’s beheading, Tinubu vows rescue
May 19, 2026 12:14 am
Jonathan, AGF oppose 2027 eligibility suit
Jonathan, AGF oppose 2027 eligibility suit
Lagos-map
Lagos shawarma vendor shot dead by suspected cultists
Crude oil
US-Iran crisis: Nigerian crude nears $120
punch footer logo
News
Sports
Metro Plus
Politics
Featured
Latest News
Business
Business & Economy
Opinion
Entertainment
Auto Famous
Barka Da Sallah
Barrier Breakers
Breaking News
Brexit
Columns
Corona
Anti-corruption
Biafra
Boko Haram
Case Review
Court News
Court Trivia
Campus Champion
Celebrity
City round
Interview
Panorama
Opinion
Special Features
Spice
Technology
Famous Parent
Education
Cartoon
Columns
Diaspora
Advertise
Subscribe
Affiliate Disclaimer
Search

Subscribe
punchng.com © 1971- 2026 Punch Nigeria Limited

About us
Advertise with us
Contact
Casino Non AAMS
Casino Uden Rofus
Norsk casino
Najlepsze kasyna online

Share to: