
Former Ogun State governorship aspirant of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Abayomi Hunye, has dismissed claims that he withdrew from the 2027 governorship race, insisting he remains a contender despite the party’s primary election.
Speaking at a press conference in Abeokuta on Saturday, Hunye also unveiled Abayomi Odunowo as his running mate, declaring that his legal challenge against the APC primary is still before the court.
Hunye, from Ogun West Senatorial District, had earlier obtained the APC governorship nomination form, defying the party’s consensus arrangement that produced Senator Solomon Adeola, popularly known as Yayi, as its preferred candidate.
The APC later declared Adeola winner of the May primary after announcing he polled 304,055 votes, while Hunye was recorded with zero votes. Hunye subsequently sued the party, alleging widespread irregularities and the disenfranchisement of his supporters.
Addressing supporters, Hunye denied reports that he had stepped down following appeals from party leaders.
“They said I have stepped down and that the matter has been settled. That is a big lie. I am still in the race, and the case is in court,” he said.
He explained that his decision to unveil a running mate was influenced by provisions of the amended Electoral Act, which require aspirants challenging election outcomes to continue participating in the electoral process, including the campaign stage.
Hunye also said naming a deputy governorship candidate was necessary to prevent being forced to accept one imposed by others if his court case succeeds.
Despite the ongoing legal battle, Hunye expressed confidence in the judiciary and maintained that he would continue his campaign for the governorship, insisting he remains committed to contesting the 2027 election.


