Home
Gunmen Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Gunmen Attack Adeleke’s Convoy After Palace Visit

Suspected hoodlums on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, triggering an exchange of gunfire with security personnel.

The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall, where he had met with the traditional ruler. The shooting reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes, causing panic among traders and residents in the area.

Adeleke had arrived at the palace at about 3:15 p.m. in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after receiving his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo following his re-election.

An eyewitness said the governor and his entourage were received by the monarch, to whom Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return. Trouble began as the meeting ended after the monarch offered prayers.

The eyewitness said Adeleke had already entered his vehicle with some aides when gunshots were heard. According to her, the attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna bus through the Ita Olokan area and exchanged fire with the governor’s security personnel before fleeing.

A trader near the palace, identified as Munirat, said the attackers may have learnt of the governor’s visit and waited for his arrival. She alleged that they damaged the palace’s main gate and fired towards the premises before security personnel pushed them back.

The trader said the attackers also engaged the governor’s security team near the Osogbo Central Mosque before fleeing towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.

The incident forced traders and residents to abandon their businesses and seek safety. Sporadic gunshots were still being heard in the area as of about 4:45 p.m., according to the report.

Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack and said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants. He added that no casualty was recorded.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.

Share to: