A resident of Esa-Oke, Osun State, Dele Ayegbo, was shot dead by unidentified assailants on Wednesday night, heightening concerns over political violence ahead of the state governorship election.
Ayegbo was reportedly attacked between 11pm and midnight near his home in the Idofin area of Esa-Oke. Two other people were also reportedly shot and taken to hospital.
Ayegbo was said to be a nephew of Oluwole Oke, Director-General of the Osun APC Governorship Campaign Council. His killing has prompted allegations of a political motive, although the claims have not been independently established.
Sunday Omolebi, a media adviser to Oke, said Ayegbo was shot by occupants of a moving black SUV and urged security agencies to investigate the incident.
The Osun APC accused members of the Accord Party of carrying out the attack. The party’s spokesperson, Kola Olabisi, alleged that two APC members were shot during the incident and called for the perpetrators to be arrested.
The APC campaign council separately claimed that about 40 of its members had been killed in recent weeks and accused suspected Accord supporters of involvement in other attacks. The allegations could not be independently verified.
Accord spokesperson Oladele Bamiji rejected the accusations, saying his party had conducted its campaigns peacefully. He urged the police to identify and arrest those responsible.
Governor Ademola Adeleke condemned the killing and ordered increased security operations in Esa-Oke and surrounding areas. He also directed the police to investigate the incident and prosecute those responsible.
Adeleke called on political parties and their supporters to avoid violence and allow voters to freely participate in the election.
Police spokesperson Abiodun Ojelabi was not immediately available for comment.


