
The World Health Organisation has warned that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is spreading rapidly, raising concerns that the virus could reach other countries.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus issued the warning on Tuesday during an emergency meeting on the outbreak, saying containment efforts were struggling to keep pace with transmission.
“We must be frank: the epidemic is far from being under control. It had a big head start, and we are still playing catch-up,” Tedros said.
According to the DRC authorities, more than 2,300 people have died from nearly 5,000 recorded cases, making the outbreak the deadliest Ebola epidemic in the country’s history.
The outbreak was declared on May 15 and is the 17th Ebola epidemic recorded in the DRC. Health officials believe the virus had been spreading for several weeks before it was detected, raising concerns about undetected transmission chains.
The outbreak has affected parts of northern and eastern DRC, where insecurity, weak infrastructure and armed groups have made it difficult for health workers to reach affected communities.
Tedros said insecurity, displacement and population movements along roads, rivers and mining routes were contributing to the spread of the virus.
“The risk of further national and international spread remains high,” he warned, urging governments and international partners to strengthen surveillance and containment measures.
The WHO said it would issue additional recommendations to the DRC and other countries as health authorities intensify efforts to identify cases and break chains of transmission.

